The Royal Netherlands Embassy in Brasilia, Brazil, has a vacancy for an internship with subject “Postharvest and agro logistics fruits & vegetables” from February 2016 till July 2016. The Postharvest Network will also accompany progress and results during the internship period.
The Embassy is looking for an intern with knowledge of the Portuguese language and MSc student in a relevant (agricultural) area. Ability to work independently, showing initiatives, good organizational capacities and being a team player are also qualities needed for this internship.
Subject of the internship
Subject of the internship is mapping postharvest and logistics in the vegetable and fruit production chains in Brazil and – on the basis of the major bottlenecks identified – advice on best approach for introducing Dutch know how and technology on the Brazilian market .
Brazil is one of the BRIC countries. Over the last decade it showed a rapid growth of GDP and a fast growing and more demanding middleclass as well as a tremendous interest into advancing in logistics of agricultural and food products, now one of the major bottlenecks.
The strong economic growth created challenges visible in the post-harvest and logistic system in Brazil: unreliable supply of products, unreliable quality of products, quality loss and substantial waste. This coincides with weak ties between the actors in the value chain, weak standards for logistics and economic losses. More specifically, knowledge on these matters is lacking.
The vegetable and fruit sector in Brazil is faced with some major challenges which are availability of quality products of fresh and processes vegetables and fruits, quality preservation in the value chain after harvesting and knowledge and competencies to improve the agro logistics and post harvesting processes in the value chain.
The present economic and political problems no doubt will slow things down, but the bottlenecks and needs are still the same.
Keywords: vegetable and fruit production chain, post harvest, agro logistics, cold chain
The Embassy of the Netherlands is interested in:
- an overview of the vegetable and fruit production chains in Brazil ;
- an overview of post harvest bottle necks;
- an analysis of the main (3-5) post harvest bottle necks in these production chains.
Furthermore, this study
- should link these main bottle necks with available Dutch know how and technology in the field of post harvest / logistics / cold chains;
- should lead to a concrete proposal for a strategy for a market approach: how to best introduce Dutch know how, technology and innovation on the Brazilian market;
- thereby identifying parties to be involved (academia/research, companies and possibly government).
- Literature review
- Mapping of experts
- Interviews with experts
- Mapping of actors
- Interview with actors
- Identify main bottlenecks
- Strategy market approach
- Identifying potential parties/partners
Input from private sector (Brazil and NL), research (Embrapa, WUR) and Postharvest Network from the Netherlands.
Details about the internship
Payment: Yes, within Ministry of Foreign Affairs internship framework
Facilities for lodging: Available
Contact person: Patricia de Vries, Agricultural Counsellor